Wednesday, January 8, 2014

The victory has been cancelled.

Everything was going to plan. Everything was fine. This week was going so well.


And then Wednesday night happened.

Ironically enough getting the email that the first 5k run event I was planning was cancelled, yet again is what pissed me off the most.

For months now I’ve been training for this. Not because I wanted to run 5km but more because I wanted one of those photos showing that I was at one of these events. It was a victory for me that I had gone from a 300+ pound elephant to a much slimmer and more in shape runner.  Even in grade school, when I was thin, I couldn’t even run a single quarter of a mile lap. But this past fall I began training myself to run and made it in a few weeks to running the 3.1 miles in a 5k run before pushing myself to running five miles by the middle of December.  February 1st couldn’t come soon enough. Until they cancelled it.


Now I have to wait until May for the next run I registered for and my victories will still be private until then.  I know it sounds shallow for me to do this for attention but when you spend most of your adult life morbidly obese only to work hard to be in the best shape of your life, you want to show it off. I don’t dress in gaudy outfits; I don’t show off my body (That would be a bad idea because being over a hundred pounds overweight means that skin will not go back where it should). I want to be active and show people that I can do it.  That’s not too much to ask for.

1 comment: